The most common and serious problem of bones are Osteoporosis. Osteoporosis means pours bones that lead to decrease in the density of bone, which further causes decreasing its strength and resulting in fragile bones. It is a bone disease that causes weakness of bones and also reduces the life of bones too. The main disadvantage of this disease is that it weakens the bone and results in frequent fractures in the bones.
It is a bone disease that make your bones weak and brittle. It makes your bones so brittle that even mild or little stress like bending may cause a serious fracture. The main reason causing weakness of bones are low level of calcium and other minerals in your bones. Bone is made of a hard outer shell with a mesh of collagen (tough elastic fibres), minerals (including calcium), blood vessels and bone marrow inside. When the bones are healthy they are very dense and the spaces inside the bones are small. It is very easy to recognize if your bone is affected by osteoporosis, as the spaces between the bones are larger this makes your bone weak, more likely to break and less elastic.
Osteoporosis occurs when the body fails to form enough new bone, when too much old bone is reabsorbed by the body, or both.
Calcium and phosphate are two minerals that are essential for normal bone formation. Throughout youth, your body uses these minerals to produce bones. If you do not get enough calcium, or if your body does not absorb enough calcium from the diet, bone production and bone tissues may suffer.
Fosamax is a prescription medicine that is used to prevent and used for the treatment of bone loss. Fosamax is a medicine that belong to that class of medicines known as bisphosphonates. This medicine work by decreasing the activity of cells which break down bone. The main advantage of this medicine is that it help in maintaining the strong bones by reducing the risk of bone loss that further lead to decreases the risk of fracture. The risk of Osteoporosis increases with your age and after menopause as at the time of menopause the risk of osteoporosis increases due to the lack of natural estrogen hormones.
Precaution before taking Fosamax medicine
Fosamax is a prescription medicine so it should be used as it is suggested by doctor or health care professional. Few important precautions need to be taken to avoid serious side effect. Precautions needs to be taken are as follows.
1) Do not use this medicine if you are allergic to Fosamax medicine or to its ingredient.
2) This medicine should be used cautiously in people who are suffering from renal insufficiency, GI ulcers, gastritis, esophageal disease.
3) People taking Fosamax medication should not take NSAIDs as they worsen the drug’s side effects.
4) People who have undergone any radiation therapy or are suffering from any form of cancer are more likely to develop Osteonecrosis
5) People suffering from decreased levels of calcium in the blood, kidney problem, stomach ulcerations or are deficient in Vitamin D should not take Fosamax drug without the doctor’s recommendation.
6) Pregnant and breastfeeding mother should not use Fosamax medicine as use of this medicine may harm the health of unborn baby or nursed child.
Before taking this medicine you should inform your doctor if you are taking any prescription, non prescription and herbal medicine as use of this medicine may cause some serious drug interaction. Fosamax medicine should be used as prescribed by the doctor. Do not increase or decrease the dose of the medicine on your own as it may lead to serious side effect. The medicine should be taken with water before meals. No beverage or food should be taken for at least half an hour after the dose and the patient should not lie down or recline for next 30 minutes after the dosage.